Tips on Choosing a New Sewing Machine

There are so many new brands and makes of sewing machines these days that it is hard for the new sewer to choose which one to buy.

Brands of Sewing Machines:

  • Janome
  • Brother
  • Juki
  • Singer 
That is just to name a few of the more popular machines.

Personally, I Prefer the Janomi. You will of course need to decide if you need something with the basic  stitches, or if you want one that does a lot of fancy stitches.  This one does 30 basic stitches. 







although if you just want one that you can mend something now and again, I suggest buying a cheaper one like this

Singer M1000 and this still does 32 fancy stiches, but is a lot cheaper. Which is great if you are new to sewing and just want to make a few articles now and then or for instance I started making quilts on one very similar to this and after a year decided to get something a bit bigger.  The choice is yours entirely. 






You will of course need Needles  



This little bundle of needles will give you all the different sizes for whatever type of thickness material you are sewing with.  As I said before read your sewing machine manual to learn which ones to use.

Bobbins preloaded buy here 



Whichever machine you buy remember to read, read and practice on a piece of material first, before you try to sew something and find that you have destroyed your lovely piece of material or pattern.

Well I think we have covered enough here for you to start on your new sewing career or just sew for the love of it.  I surprised myself when the kids were young, I made their dresses etc. but never did a lot of sewing.  Then when I turned 76, I started quilting and yes, I bought more expensive machines with bigger throats as it was easier to work with the heavy materials especially now as I am in my 80's. 
So you never know where your sewing may lead you. 
 
Remember read the manuals, whichever machine you buy.  Plus, you need to make sure that you thread your machine correctly and get your tension right.

Above all have fun and I hope this will help you choose a new machine.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Learn How to Earn Money with Articles and Photos on RedGage

Easy Seashell Crafts for Kids to Make

Writing as a Family With Similar Craft Interests